On the writer's birthday, on 5 October, the street sign of the Szabó Magda promenade was inaugurated in the 2nd district, in the area between Mammut Shopping Center and Széllkapu Park. There is also a bookcase on the promenade that anyone can add to and anyone can read from.
The support and upbringing of young children who lost their parents, and the satisfaction of their daily needs in Hungary until the middle of the 18th century was undertaken by the churches. The first city orphanage opened in Kőszeg in 1741, and then in the following decades similar institutions maintained and operated by the settlements were built in Selmecbánya [today Banská Štiavnica], Sopron, Nagyszombat [today Trnava] and Veszprém. In Pest, although prominent citizens donated significant sums for this purpose in the 1790s, only 100 years after the opening of the one in Kőszeg was the foundation stone of the first educational institution of this type laid, and it named after Palatine Joseph.
Budapest found itself in a difficult financial situation 115 years ago. Although cyclists and dog keeping were already taxed, water fees and tuition fees were raised, in 1906 it became clear that this was not enough to overcome the huge budget deficit. The government did not approve the planned additional tax burdens (such as the champagne tax and the card tax) and the new tax increases, but provided budget support to settle the capital's debt.
As early as the 1870s, it was decided that a memorial would be erected to Lajos Batthyány, who was executed in 1849, but while other statesmen received a statue, the martyrdom of the Prime Minister was commemorated with an eternal flame. The monument was built in 1926, and the inauguration of the eternal flame, which still stands today, took place on the day of the execution, on 6 October, with the participation of Governor Miklós Horthy and several public dignitaries.
After a long time in the rich tram park of Budapest, the first vehicles manufactured in Western Europe were the trams from Hanover with their characteristic opening staircases, which were put into traffic for the first time on 3 October 2001.
The reconstruction of the column surrounding the statue erected in 1904 will be carried out by the Budapest Gallery, and the works are expected to last until the end of the year. In addition, the Monument to the Displaced and the 56th Memorial Column in Tabán will be renewed.
The composer's now renewed tomb was erected in 1904 by the Budapest Philharmonic Society. The reliefs created by Ede Kallós show the beats of Erkel's masterpiece, the Hymn.
When the old building of the National Theatre on Blaha Lujza Square was blown up on 15 March 1965, no one would have thought the institution would operate in a temporary location for three and a half decades. The National Theatre held its opening performance on 1 October 1966, in the building of the former Hungarian Theatre on Hevesi Sándor Square, and until 2000, it was the home of the company.
The torso of the Honvéd High Command, originally designed by Mór Kallina, located on Dísz Square, will regain its original form during the reconstruction, and its useful area will more than triple. In the future, it will function as a visitor center, the cultural and tourist gateway of the Buda Castle district.
For five billion forints, the capital is selling the huge plot at 357 Bécsi Road, in the 12th district a park is being named after Alaine Polcz, and in Kispest, another after Aladár Pege. Homeless care is also expanding, new places have been created in the building of the Gyáli Road hostel, which has recently been returned to the management of the city.
From 2022, the Northern Vehicle Repair will officially become the home of the Hungarian Museum of Technology and Transport. They are bringing forward the necessary demolition, environmental remediation of contaminated soil and reconstruction of some smaller buildings. Reconstruction of the Diesel Hall into a museum could begin in 2023.
September 29 is the feast of St. Michael the Archangel, the most popular, most often depicted angel. He was elected patron of several churches in Budapest, the youngest of which was the parish church of Albertfalva, consecrated in 1941. The modern, yet traditionally Hungarian building has recently been expanded with a new community house.
The Reformed Church of the Togetherness in Pesterzsébet-Szabótelep was consecrated, the foundation stone of which was laid on September 23, 2018, and construction began in 2019. A 20th district building is the first church in Budapest, which is based on the ideas of Imre Makovecz. the details of the plans were worked out by Tamás Dósa-Papp, the student of the world-famous architect. The church also has a congregation house and a parish.
One might think that the life of a world traveller and Africa researcher is enviable. However, this is not necessarily the case with Zsigmond Széchenyi: one of the most significant Hungarian travellers and hunters of the 20th century was dragged and evicted from the Buda Castle by the communist regime. As part of the ‘One with Nature’ World of Hunting and Nature Exhibition, an exhibition of his photographs taken during the expeditions will open at the Capa Centre in Budapest.
Wekerletelep with its special atmosphere is located in Kispest. Its smaller and larger houses form this fairytale-looking part of the city in a uniform style, arranged in streets that are inexplicable for an outsider, but are in a regular order. Its creation was initiated by Sándor Wekerle, one of the most prominent Hungarian prime ministers, who passed away a hundred years ago.
It has recently been reported that the building of the National Museum and Institute of Theater History on Krisztina boulevard and the Bajor Gizi Actors' Museum on Stromfeld Aurél Street will also be handed over by the state to the Foundation for Theater and Film Arts. In this regard, we briefly present the history of the two buildings.
Increasing car traffic has been a problem in the capital for decades. It even come up in the early 1970s that a a huge highway bridge should be built on the Danube in the Lágymányos area. If that planned bridge had been realized, we would be living in a different Budapest today.
Work on the foundations of the former palace of Archduke Joseph began in Buda Castle, Szent György Square. The building will be rebuilt according to the original plans under the National Hauszmann Program.
The demolition of the Goldmann Canteen building on Goldmann György Square near the Buda end of the Petőfi Bridge has begun. The former university restaurant and the adjoining building called BME V2, formerly home to the Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Technical University, will be replaced by the BME Innovation and Development Center.
The name and legend of Saint Gellért is known not only to the Hungarians, but certainly to the tourists visiting here. If for no other reason, because the Gellért Hill statue of the first martyr of Christian Hungary is an integral part of the Budapest cityscape; the bishop has been holding the cross high above the capital for more than a hundred and ten years. The memory of Bishop Gellért, who died a martyr's death in 975 years, is preserved not only on the mountain, but also in many other works in the capital.
The Regnum Marianum church stood on the edge of Városliget for only twenty years. The church, consecrated in 1931, was blown up on September 23, 1951. The leaders of the communist dictatorship invoked town planning reasons, but in reality they wanted to demolish the church, which was built out of “gratitude” for Hungary gettingt rid of the arbitrariness of the Soviet Republic.
In Budapest, after the First World War, bus traffic did not start again until 1921. One hundred years ago, electric vehicles first transported passangers between the Aréna, i.e. today’s Dózsa György Road and Apponyi Square, today's Ferenciek Square. Although many considered the racing vehicles to be a luxury, in the end bus transport gained a raison d’être in the capital.
Renovation of two more parts of the building may begin in the near future on the Ludovika Campus of the University of Public Service. Based on the recently completed public procurement procedure, the planning of the reconstruction of the so-called Tóparti building in the Diószegi Street section and the planning of the renovation of the Ludovika Fencing Hall and Event Center on Üllői Street will begin.
Today it is difficult to imagine, but once the first steam mill in Pest was built and operated in Lipótváros, in the area bordered by today's Bálint Balassi - Béla Stollár - Falk Miksa and Balaton Streets, which started operating on 22 September 1841. However, the József Hengermalom [Rolling Mill] was more than a simple mill. The modern plant established on the initiative of István Széchenyi was not financially successful, but as a result the milling industry and the machine industry also started to develop significantly. Pest in the second half of the 19th century became a major power of the milling industry.
A bust of Ferenc Herczeg, the most popular writer of the period between the two world wars, who was the first Hungarian writer to be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Literature, was erected in the building of the National Theater. He was exiled from Hungarian literature after the Second World War, and his works were republished only after the change of regime. The work of sculptor Mária Törley now commemorates Ferenc Herczeg.
The year 2021 can also be called the Széchenyi Year, as Hungarians celebrate the 230th anniversary of the count's birth on 21 September. In addition, there is a square in Pest that had been named after the biggest Hungarian for 10 years, and most of its corners are related to a certain stage of the count's life or patriotic deeds. It is the square at the Pest end of the Chain Bridge, which István Széchenyi may have known as Kirakodó Square.
The round anniversary provides an opportunity to take an objective approach to the artist, who was imprisoned after the Hungarian Soviet Republic and then joined the Roman school in the 1930s and became more widely known through his sculptures of party leaders in the decades of socialism. His sculptures can be found in several places all over the city: with Bálint Balassi on the Kodály Körönd, with the female figure defying the wind on the Danube Promenade, or with the Raoul Wallenberg monument in St. Stephen's Park.
Although Budapest was seemingly peaceful in 1941, the effects of the war were already being felt. Meat consumption and the use of cars were restricted. Sugar and fat could only be bought on ration stamps from 1940, and 80 years ago, flour and bread stamps were introduced. This restriction affected Budapest and the surrounding area in September 1941.
As an architect, he redrawn every detail of the St. Stephen's Hall, which opens on 20 August: the windows, historic doors, and parquet floors of the southern connecting wing of the Royal Palace. Tibor Angyal has been recreating the historic ceremonial hall destroyed after World War II for six years and, with experience, he claims that the reconstruction of the Royal Palace, which was destroyed with mad rage and method after the war so that not a single square metre of original space remains, is a historic opportunity.
This year, BKV is also joining the Budapest100 programme: the company's headquarters in Erzsébetváros and the Ferenc Electricity Converter can be seen the second weekend of September by the curious.