As an architect, he redrawn every detail of the St. Stephen's Hall, which opens on 20 August: the windows, historic doors, and parquet floors of the southern connecting wing of the Royal Palace. Tibor Angyal has been recreating the historic ceremonial hall destroyed after World War II for six years and, with experience, he claims that the reconstruction of the Royal Palace, which was destroyed with mad rage and method after the war so that not a single square metre of original space remains, is a historic opportunity.
This year, BKV is also joining the Budapest100 programme: the company's headquarters in Erzsébetváros and the Ferenc Electricity Converter can be seen the second weekend of September by the curious.
Built at 30 Vadász Street after a summer trial run, the V.30 Sports Centre, can be visited and tried out by anyone, not just by residents of the V district, from September. The facility, built with ecological and energy efficiency in mind, has a 25-metre swimming pool, a teaching pool and a spa with thermal water.
In the last months of her life, she lived at 13 Horánszky Street, formerly Zerge Street, in Józsefváros. Júlia Szendrey, poet, writer and translator, Petőfi's wife and muse. His memory is now commemorated by a plaque on the façade of a house in the Palace Quarter.
The Festők, Építészek, Szobrászok, Zenészek, Énekesek és Komédiások Klubja [Painters, Architects, Sculptors, Musicians, Singers and Comedians Club] or the Fészek Klub opened 120 years ago, on 7 September 1901, on the corner of Kertész Street and Dob Street. The legendary club has been a popular and beloved meeting place for the arts scene for decades, but is now more of an events venue. Just like the club scene of the old days, the original elegant Art Nouveau building and its lavish décor are a thing of the past.
The villa, originally designed by Miklós Ybl and built in 1872, was bombed, burnt down and demolished during the Second World War. It was completely rebuilt after the turn of the millennium, but has stood empty for the last few years. Recently renovated for the Lajos Batthyány Foundation, the building will serve as the future headquarters of the organisation.
On the site of the former BM-hospital at the corner of Bajza street and Városligeti fasor, the Hungarian Museum of Architecture and Documentation Centre for Historic Monuments is being formed. After demolition work was completed in the summer, the site is now reduced to two historicised sanatorium buildings. The planned building will be smaller than the demolished houses, leaving a large green area on the site.
From 20 August, anyone can visit the rebuilt St. Stephen's Hall in the renewed south connecting wing of the Buda Castle. The beauty and uniqueness of the ballroom are enhanced by its special inlaid parquet flooring. But who created this unique flooring? Take a look at the work of the Neuschlosz Brothers.
The change in Budapest can be surprising when looking at old pictures: the former riding hall behind the National Museum, the New Building (Újépület) on the site of the current Szabadság Square, the disappeared houses of Pest and Buda downtown, the former splendour of the Buda Palace, and the beautiful historic buildings which stood on the site of the series of hotels along the Danube. What has changed and what is constant? Take a look at the six pictures Pestbuda collected.
Eighty-five years ago, in 1936 the Vienna Gate of the Buda Castle was rebuilt. The plan had already been conceived six years earlier, but because of the economic crisis the financial backing could only be secured for that time. The occasion for the construction was the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the recapture of Buda, which was on 2 September 1686.
The new main building of the Mazsihisz Charity Hospital [Szeretetkórház] in Budapest on Amerikai Road was renovated. It was originally built in 1914 and returned to the community in 1994 from the Uzsoki Street Hospital. The renovated 2300 square metre building also got distinctive towers.
At 24 Báthory Street, 5th District, it can be found out only from a memorial plaque that the German Theatre of Pest once stood here. This was already the third venue for German acting in Pest, but the theatre could not function here for a long time either. Twenty years after its opening, on 20 December 1889, a fire destroyed the building, in which Mór Jókai also turned, and an operetta written from his work was even performed here.
This summer is slowly coming to an end, and the sudden cooler weather is no longer good for going to the beach. Fortunately, Budapest also has many baths, which we can visit even in cooler weather; it is enough to think of Széchenyi, Rudas or Gellért. Unfortunately, there are also a good number of baths that we can no longer enjoy today, even though they were architecturally significant as well. Here are 3 + 1 baths from the past of Budapest!
A special bus was presented to the general public yesterday by the Museum of Transport: one of the last ten Ikarus 66 models produced. The vehicle was exhibited after several years of restoration in Kőbánya, in the Diesel Hall of the former Northern Locomotive Workshop. Budapest once expected these Ikarus buses to make transportation faster and more convenient, but passengers in the capital found them uncomfortable.
Representatives of BKK Centre for Budapest Transport and design companies have signed a contract, according to which they will prepare construction plans for the makeover of the inner city Danube Bank. The renovation can start next summer - according to the BKK website.
In the shadow of the Millennium Monument, another work is hidden in the Heroes' Square. The Memorial Stone of Heroes symbolises a mass grave, originally erected in 1929, in memory of the soldiers of the First World War resting in anonymous graves, but it was not mourning that was its primary message, but mobilisation against the changing millennial boundaries. The memorial stone was demolished in 1951 but re-erected in the spring of 1956 and then in 2001, in a different form and with new messages.
Experts from the Budapest History Museum found a late Roman burial on one of the plots on Óbuda Street, where the remains of a stone wall and storage pits have also been found.
The building of the Kunsthalle in Heroes' Square was built for the Millennium Exhibition according to the plans of architect Albert Schickedanz. On the 125th anniversary of its existence, preparations began for the complete renovation of the building.
The former legendary hotels of Budapest were almost completely destroyed in the Second World War and in the 1950s, and in the Rákosi era, no money was spent on building luxury hotels in the country, as there was no solvent demand for it. The situation changed after the defeat of the revolution and war of independence of 1956: tourists from the West and the currency they spent here became important to the country’s new leadership. Large-scale hotel developments began, among them one of the first was rebuilding the former luxury hotel, Royal, which reopened in August 1961.
The Almássy Square Leisure Center has been sleeping its (second) Sleeping Beauty dream for almost a decade. The former popular cultural institution was sold by the municipality of Erzsébetváros in 2007 and although the hotel building plans at the time did not materialize, an application for a building permit was recently submitted to expand and transform the building, 35 years ago known as the small Pompidou in Pest, to a hotel.
A nice and interesting highlight of the microdistrict in Káposztásmegyer is the clock tower reminiscent of the Transylvanian belfries. The building, made of oak by handicrafts, was renovated and cleaned in August.
The rebirth and re-creation of a lost, destroyed monument is always a joy for the community. Especially when it comes to a work of special significance, such as the Calvary in Golgota Square in Józsefváros, which was demolished in 1971. The 14 stations are now visible again in their original beauty.
At the end of the spectacular fireworks held in Budapest on the occasion of the founding of the state, glowing Greek fires were started on the bridges, including the Liberty Bridge. At that moment, surely few thought it was the first bridge to be rebuilt after the devastation of World War II and handed over to traffic on 20 August 1946.
The square in front of the Parliament has been called Kossuth Square since 1927, since the statue of the great statesman was inaugurated that year. The designation of its exact location provoked lengthy debates, and the finished work was tentatively erected at several points of the square by the time it reached its final location.
The traffic between the inner city of Pest and the Városliget went through Király Street for a very long time. The narrow street was very crowded, as not only the normal traffic passed through here, but also those who wanted to go to the Városliget for a little refreshment. The Avenue [Sugárút in Hungarian], officially handed over 145 years ago, in 1876, today's Andrássy Avenue, along which lavish palaces were built in place of the one-storey houses, was made to aid this situation.
The work was originally intended to replace the statue of György Lukács in Szent István Park, but the Capital decided otherwise, so the 2.5-metre-high bronze statue of our founding king ended up not in the park named after him, but in the Templom Square of the 19th District.
The St. Stephen's Hall of the Buda Palace, which was once one of the most ornate rooms in the palace, was renovated with complete historical fidelity. The room, rebuilt in its original form, will be open to the public free of charge from 20 August until the end of the month, following today's official handover.
The pedestrian underpass built in 1874 connecting Bajza Street in the 6th District with Bulcsú Street in the 13th District, which runs from the Nyugati railway station, has been in extremely poor condition for decades, and is also dirty and dangerous. However, the underpass, almost the same age as the capital, is now being renovated, so it will be closed to traffic on 23 August and will only reopen in the autumn.
During the works, the decorations of the beautiful Art Nouveau palace designed by Ödön Lechner will be restored inside and out, the foundation of the building will be strengthened, several internal partitions and courtyard annexes will be demolished, as well as the museum's 21-meter-high chimney.
Miklós Borsos, who was recognised as a sculptor, medalist and graphic artist, was born on 13 August 1906, in Nagyszeben (today's Sibiu, Romania), Transylvania, 115 years ago. He lived in Győr, and then in Budapest from 1945. In winter, he worked in the Castle District, at 6 Úri Street, and in summer, in Tihany; his permanent museum can be visited in Győr. Several of his works can be seen in Budapest, and a few of his works involuntarily attracts attention.