András Mayerhoffer, born in Salzburg, is one of the leading figures of Baroque-Rococo architecture in Hungary. He is also known as the creator of the so-called Grassalkovich or Gödöllő style. The works of the master builder and architect, who died 250 years ago, such as the first two-towered Catholic Church in Pest or the former Péterffy Palace in Piarista Street - are still defining elements of Budapest's cityscape.
A park would be created on Budaörsi Road, on the site of the former US military cemetery. The exact functions are still under discussion, including the possibility of an external exhibition area, which has many valuable shrubs and mature trees.
If swimming or eating 'lángos' means relaxation, people usually think of Lake Balaton as a destination. However, Roman Beach offers a similar opportunity in Budapest. The first legal public Danube beach in the capital opened here in the summer of 2021 - after a long break. But the Roman Beach is much more than that. The area is the only place offering a real waterfront experience along the Danube section of Budapest, its special milieu captivates the visitors. If someone really wants to get to know the five-kilometre beach, get ready for a multi-hour trip as Pestbuda reporters did. Take a closer look at the beach with the author.
The exhibition of Győző Czigler's architecture is open until the end of October. The Archives of the Budapest Capital's and the Hungarian Architectural Museum and Monument Documentation Centre's jointly organised exhibition presents the career of the much-used architect of Hungarian historicism with the help of tables and models.
The Old Buda Synagogue is celebrating its 200th anniversary this year, and has now regained its former façade decoration, the clock with the Hebrew dial.
Most of the people living in the area still mention the North Pest Hospital as a former Russian hospital, whose buildings are located in Pestújhely, on a landscaped area of more than 7 hectares. The institution was originally built as a mental hospital in the Art Nouveau style. The plans for the renovation of the institution and the monument research were recently carried out by the owner, the 15th District Local Council.
Although Budapest was seemingly peaceful in 1941, the effects of the war were already being felt. Meat consumption and the use of cars were restricted. Sugar and fat could only be bought on ration stamps from 1940, and 80 years ago, flour and bread stamps were introduced. This restriction affected Budapest and the surrounding area in September 1941.
As an architect, he redrawn every detail of the St. Stephen's Hall, which opens on 20 August: the windows, historic doors, and parquet floors of the southern connecting wing of the Royal Palace. Tibor Angyal has been recreating the historic ceremonial hall destroyed after World War II for six years and, with experience, he claims that the reconstruction of the Royal Palace, which was destroyed with mad rage and method after the war so that not a single square metre of original space remains, is a historic opportunity.
This year, BKV is also joining the Budapest100 programme: the company's headquarters in Erzsébetváros and the Ferenc Electricity Converter can be seen the second weekend of September by the curious.
The 52nd International Eucharistic Congress is taking place in Budapest these days, which one of the largest events in the Catholic Church. It is always a great honour for the city to host the event, and Budapest is lucky enough to host it for the second time. For the first time, in 1938, the organisers expressed their gratitude to the Vatican for the opportunity by building the main altar of St Peter's Basilica in Heroes' Square.
Built at 30 Vadász Street after a summer trial run, the V.30 Sports Centre, can be visited and tried out by anyone, not just by residents of the V district, from September. The facility, built with ecological and energy efficiency in mind, has a 25-metre swimming pool, a teaching pool and a spa with thermal water.
In the last months of her life, she lived at 13 Horánszky Street, formerly Zerge Street, in Józsefváros. Júlia Szendrey, poet, writer and translator, Petőfi's wife and muse. His memory is now commemorated by a plaque on the façade of a house in the Palace Quarter.
The Festők, Építészek, Szobrászok, Zenészek, Énekesek és Komédiások Klubja [Painters, Architects, Sculptors, Musicians, Singers and Comedians Club] or the Fészek Klub opened 120 years ago, on 7 September 1901, on the corner of Kertész Street and Dob Street. The legendary club has been a popular and beloved meeting place for the arts scene for decades, but is now more of an events venue. Just like the club scene of the old days, the original elegant Art Nouveau building and its lavish décor are a thing of the past.
Budapest hosts the International Eucharistic Congress for the second time. In addition to the main venues - Heroes' Square, Hungexpo, St. Stephen's Basilica, Kossuth Square, Academy of Music - there will be programmes, concerts and stage performances in several parts of the city.
The villa, originally designed by Miklós Ybl and built in 1872, was bombed, burnt down and demolished during the Second World War. It was completely rebuilt after the turn of the millennium, but has stood empty for the last few years. Recently renovated for the Lajos Batthyány Foundation, the building will serve as the future headquarters of the organisation.
On the site of the former BM-hospital at the corner of Bajza street and Városligeti fasor, the Hungarian Museum of Architecture and Documentation Centre for Historic Monuments is being formed. After demolition work was completed in the summer, the site is now reduced to two historicised sanatorium buildings. The planned building will be smaller than the demolished houses, leaving a large green area on the site.
From 20 August, anyone can visit the rebuilt St. Stephen's Hall in the renewed south connecting wing of the Buda Castle. The beauty and uniqueness of the ballroom are enhanced by its special inlaid parquet flooring. But who created this unique flooring? Take a look at the work of the Neuschlosz Brothers.
The change in Budapest can be surprising when looking at old pictures: the former riding hall behind the National Museum, the New Building (Újépület) on the site of the current Szabadság Square, the disappeared houses of Pest and Buda downtown, the former splendour of the Buda Palace, and the beautiful historic buildings which stood on the site of the series of hotels along the Danube. What has changed and what is constant? Take a look at the six pictures Pestbuda collected.
Eighty-five years ago, in 1936 the Vienna Gate of the Buda Castle was rebuilt. The plan had already been conceived six years earlier, but because of the economic crisis the financial backing could only be secured for that time. The occasion for the construction was the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the recapture of Buda, which was on 2 September 1686.
The new main building of the Mazsihisz Charity Hospital [Szeretetkórház] in Budapest on Amerikai Road was renovated. It was originally built in 1914 and returned to the community in 1994 from the Uzsoki Street Hospital. The renovated 2300 square metre building also got distinctive towers.
At 24 Báthory Street, 5th District, it can be found out only from a memorial plaque that the German Theatre of Pest once stood here. This was already the third venue for German acting in Pest, but the theatre could not function here for a long time either. Twenty years after its opening, on 20 December 1889, a fire destroyed the building, in which Mór Jókai also turned, and an operetta written from his work was even performed here.
This summer is slowly coming to an end, and the sudden cooler weather is no longer good for going to the beach. Fortunately, Budapest also has many baths, which we can visit even in cooler weather; it is enough to think of Széchenyi, Rudas or Gellért. Unfortunately, there are also a good number of baths that we can no longer enjoy today, even though they were architecturally significant as well. Here are 3 + 1 baths from the past of Budapest!
A special bus was presented to the general public yesterday by the Museum of Transport: one of the last ten Ikarus 66 models produced. The vehicle was exhibited after several years of restoration in Kőbánya, in the Diesel Hall of the former Northern Locomotive Workshop. Budapest once expected these Ikarus buses to make transportation faster and more convenient, but passengers in the capital found them uncomfortable.
Representatives of BKK Centre for Budapest Transport and design companies have signed a contract, according to which they will prepare construction plans for the makeover of the inner city Danube Bank. The renovation can start next summer - according to the BKK website.
In the shadow of the Millennium Monument, another work is hidden in the Heroes' Square. The Memorial Stone of Heroes symbolises a mass grave, originally erected in 1929, in memory of the soldiers of the First World War resting in anonymous graves, but it was not mourning that was its primary message, but mobilisation against the changing millennial boundaries. The memorial stone was demolished in 1951 but re-erected in the spring of 1956 and then in 2001, in a different form and with new messages.
Experts from the Budapest History Museum found a late Roman burial on one of the plots on Óbuda Street, where the remains of a stone wall and storage pits have also been found.
The building of the Kunsthalle in Heroes' Square was built for the Millennium Exhibition according to the plans of architect Albert Schickedanz. On the 125th anniversary of its existence, preparations began for the complete renovation of the building.
The former legendary hotels of Budapest were almost completely destroyed in the Second World War and in the 1950s, and in the Rákosi era, no money was spent on building luxury hotels in the country, as there was no solvent demand for it. The situation changed after the defeat of the revolution and war of independence of 1956: tourists from the West and the currency they spent here became important to the country’s new leadership. Large-scale hotel developments began, among them one of the first was rebuilding the former luxury hotel, Royal, which reopened in August 1961.
The Almássy Square Leisure Center has been sleeping its (second) Sleeping Beauty dream for almost a decade. The former popular cultural institution was sold by the municipality of Erzsébetváros in 2007 and although the hotel building plans at the time did not materialize, an application for a building permit was recently submitted to expand and transform the building, 35 years ago known as the small Pompidou in Pest, to a hotel.
A nice and interesting highlight of the microdistrict in Káposztásmegyer is the clock tower reminiscent of the Transylvanian belfries. The building, made of oak by handicrafts, was renovated and cleaned in August.